Friday, May 4, 2012

Just for Fun: Mice, A Bear and a Zoo

Late last night I needed a quick kid's book fix, so I wandered my shelves and pulled down three random books.  It just happened that they were, all three, about animals.

First up:  Is There a Mouse in the House, by Josephine Gibson, Illustrated by N. M. Bodecker. 1965.
I remember this book from when I was a kid.  It still had the same effect--giggles aplenty.  Definitely a fun book for reading aloud.  Here are some samples (you may have to click on the images to see double pages):


































Next up?  Henry Bear's Park by David McPhail, 1976.

This book was reissued in 2003 in a larger format and redesigned with color pictures.  Despite the color artwork, it pales in comparison to the first edition.  The artwork is detailed and charming.  The story is good overall, but I feel like the ending is a bit of a letdown and expected.





Lastly, I read A Zoo for Mister Muster by Arnold Lobel, 1962.
The story is a fun one, about a man who visits the zoo everyday and has befriended the animals.  When he doesn't show up one day, the animals come to visit him!  I remember this book from my childhood; most vividly I remembered the image of the animals hiding in Mr. Muster's apartment.





No comments: